Consulate General of India Houston Texas, USA (Official website)
Sitemap I Feedback
Home > Consular Services > Certification of marriage as per entry in the passport

Certification of marriage as per entry in the passport

Marriage Certificate should be obtained from the Registrar of Marriage at the place of marriage/registration. The Embassy/Consulate may register and issue Marriage Certificate if the marriage was solemnized by the Consular/Marriage Officer at Embassy/Consulate under the Foreign Marriage Act of 1969 which requires advance notice in the prescribed form of at least one month, advertisement of notice of intention of marriage in newspapers at the place of residence and permanent residence under the provisions of the Act. However, in order to meet the requirement of Indian nationals who do not possess a Marriage Certificate issued by the competent authority, on application, the Embassy/Consulate may issue a document certifying the entry of marital status in the passport.

We encourage receiving the Applications through post. Applications received through post will be serviced in 3-5  business days.

Required documents:

  1. Completed "Misc. Services" application form with one passport size photo affixed in the box.

  2. Fill in all the information correctly. Incomplete application will be returned without service.

  3. Applicant's valid Original passport and a photocopy of pages containing personal particulars (first three and last two pages).

  4. Copy of valid Visa/Green Card for Indian citizens and for other citizens of Indian origin attach a copy of their OCI card/PIO card/Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Certificate (if applicable).

  5. Copy of Proof of address (utility bill, driver license or lease agreement).

  6. Valid passport of spouse and photocopy of pages with personal particulars (first three and last two pages).

  7. Fee $25 and $3 for ICWF.

  8. Fee is to be paid by cashier’s check or money order drawn only in favor of "Consulate General of India". There should be a seperate cashier’s check or money order for ICWF Fee. Cash payment is also accepted at the counter of the Consulate. Applicants are requested to come with exact change for efficient services.
  9. Personal checks, Debit cards and Credit cards are not accepted.

  10. If application is being sent by post please sent a seperate $20/- cashier’s check or money order fee for return mail. No prepaid envelopes are accepted.